What you should really put on your baby registry
Yay! This is one of the most fun parts of preparing for a new baby! You get to go window shopping and make this huge list of things people will get for your new baby. There will be all these cute things for the nursery, tons of cute clothes, all the handy baby gadgets and so much more!
So, what should really go on your registry?
The answer is actually none of those things I said above! Yep, that’s right no cute clothes and no adorable nursery decorations. That may seem crazy but there are good reasons why. All of those things are super easy to find second hand and at a fraction of the cost! You don’t want to spend way more than you should, or have anyone else spend too much on things that you will use today and outgrow tomorrow. Plus, majority of the time people can’t help but to buy a cute outfit or two when they find out you’re expecting. Just because you don’t put it on your registry doesn’t mean that you won’t get it.
If you haven’t read my post about preparing for a baby on a budget you need to, there great ways to cut cost over there! What you really need to receive as gifts are the disposable things you have to keep buying over and over or things you don’t want to buy used. Now, every situation will vary so this is simply my opinion for the experience we had.
So, here’s the list!
- Diapers, diapers, diapers! All sizes and a few different brands. Babies R Us was great with us when we needed to switch out a different brand or size. You will want to figure out what brand works best for your baby so having different brands is super handy! We had decided that we wanted to use pampers. That was before really knowing that it wasn’t up to us it was up to baby boy. Lesson learned: it’s not up to you! Also, they go through some sizes way faster than others so, always having the next size up stored away is super helpful.
- Soaps and lotions and creams..oh my! These are things you child will never outgrow. Having a few different brands just incase there is an allergy or reaction to one is a great idea. Our son has eczema so we had to use different lotions and soaps for him. Luckily someone had given up and oatmeal baby wash that was exactly what the doctor suggested for his skin. Don’t forget powder, diaper rash cream and baby sunscreen. You’ll also want travel sizes for the diaper bag or trips.
- Wipes, you will never get enough wipes! You don’t just need the ones to clean their bottom though! It seems like there is a wipe for everything now. Boogie wipes(yes that is the actual name of them) are great little saline wipes made especially for those nasty noses. Face and hand wipes are safe for those little ones that always have their hands in their mouth and are great for quick snack cleanups while out. Paci wipes are amazing too. They are usually flavored a little bit and completely safe to clean a dropped paci off before sticking it back in their mouth. We used these a ton! We also tried tooth and gum wipes for before they are ready for a toothbrush but in my opinion I’d rather just use a wash cloth.
- Socks are one thing that you don’t find second hand very much. I know it is because those little feet get them all stained and worn out in no time. Having a few different sizes will help you stay on top of those growing feet as well.
- A diaper genie and it’s bags is a great gift to put on your registry as well. They are easy to clean so if you want to snag one second hand that’s great! But, they are fairly inexpensive and I opted just to get a new one without another baby’s potential smell lingering behind. The refill bags are what is going to keep costing you so make sure to put more than a few on your registry!
- Medications are another option if you want to add them. Having things like infant tylenol, gripe water, gas medication and a thermometer at the house when you need them is always best. If you have a sick baby and have to go to the store to get something it just piles on the stress.
- Teethers are life savers! Baby’s start teething and wanting something to chew on very early. Having a few different options to find out what your baby likes is always great.
- Bottles or new nipples if you are getting some bottles second hand. I recommend getting a few different types of bottles so you can figure out what works best for your baby. Our favorite was Dr. Browns bottles. Don’t forget the bottle brush to clean those bottles, you going to go through quite a few of these as well.
- Pumping accessories are a must if you are planning to pump or breastfeed! Having spare pump parts around is something I highly recommend. You never know when you need them and it’s better to already have them when you do. You also don’t want to forget things like milk storage bags, nursing pads and nipple cream. (Most insurance plans cover a pump.)
- Pacifiers are another thing you will likely need but not want to buy second hand. Somehow they will always end up lost so you can never have enough! Buy a few different kinds of these as well, as you never know how picky your baby will be.
That registry list looks pretty good to me!
Putting these things on your registry instead of filling it with cute outfits and items you can find second hand will save you more money in the long run. Letting everyone else stock you up on the disposable things also allows you some money in your pocket to spend on a cute outfit here and there!
Diaper showers are becoming more and more popular(where everyone brings a pack of diapers instead of a gift). You can also include on your baby shower invitation that you are raffling of a prize and that every pack of diapers they bring will get them an entry. I think a diaper cake competition is a great way to incorporate more items than just diapers, plus everyone gets the fun challenge of creating something super cute! These ideas make it more fun for someone to get you something you will need. They also make for more entertainment at a baby shower!
How ever you decide to plan your shower and your registry just make sure the essentials are not overlooked. You will want that new bundle of joy to have everything they need!