How to thrift store shop for clothes
I LOVE thrift store shopping!
Seriously you guys, I’m not a shopper..unless you take me to a thrift store. I recently went to goodwill and spent the rest of my christmas money. While I was shopping I was going through my mental checklist to make sure I was really getting the best deal possible. I thought “I wonder if I’m the only one that shops like this?”.
Now, I know I’m no where near the only one that loves a good thrift store bargain. There are probably still many people out there, though, that think that they’re not going to pay any amount for clothes someone else already wore out. Or it just takes too much time. They won’t have the brands you like and if they do them the clothing probably won’t be in good shape. If that describes you even a little I want to show you some great tips to spending less time getting a really great deal!
- Location- My city has 4 goodwill stores that I have shopped at. Each store gets donations from a different group of people. The store closest to the college has a lot of younger styles. The store in the middle of town has the best selection of work approved clothes. You get where I’m going? Know where the donations are coming from and you have a better bet on finding what you like.
- Seasons- This is my favorite time of year to go! Once the warm weather starts to tease us a little bit everyone is cleaning out their spring and summer clothes. This means plenty of donations for goodwill! Try to time it at the beginning of a season to get some of the better stuff before it’s gone.
- Have enough (kid free!) time- Yeah I know, I said I was going to tell you how to save time right? Here’s the truth. To get a good deal you’re going to have to take time to look through clothing you don’t want. If you go when you don’t have time you’re going to be frustrated and overwhelmed by the amount there is to look at. You won’t want to hunt for those great deals after all. If you have a distraction, like a child, it can end up taking twice as long and be half as rewarding. So, to save time just simply make time!
- Know the return policy- The goodwill stores in my area accept returns within 30 days! I think this makes goodwill about twice as awesome to me! I like to glance over the mens quickly to see if I can find any work pants for the hubby. Now, I would never get him to go goodwill shopping with me, let alone try them on, but when I come home with a $3 pair of work pants he’s always thrilled. The fact that I can take them back if they don’t fit is the icing on the cake!
- Know if you’re really getting a deal- This one ties into being a thrifty shopper in general. I know what kind of deals I can find on “generic” things like t-shirt and camisoles. I love to get things like this at stores where I buy them new for a couple dollars a piece. Finding a worn cami in the “shirts” section for $3.99 is not a deal if I can get it new for about the same price. This tip also swings the opposite way. I found a sports camisole with a built in bra from target with the tag still on it! The original price of the cami was $19.99 and I got it for $3.99! That’s a great deal!
- Try things on!- I know this may be a turnoff to some of you but it really saves you a lot of hassle. I almost always put back more than %50 of what was in my cart. After things have been worn and washed a little they never fit like you would expect them to new. Some things you may have thought you would love on the hanger but hate once you put it on. So take the little bit of extra time and try it on.
- Don’t settle- It’s really hard to not buy everything that you think is “kinda cute” because it’s only $3. Trust me, I have bought more than my share of things I realized I didn’t love later on. Weather it be the style or the color or maybe it just looks more worn out than you originally thought. When I’m shopping now I always ask myself “If this were new in any other store would I buy it?”. Visualizing it in a store with new clothes and cute styles always give me a better perspective on how much I really like it
- Shop. Enjoy. Repeat!- Going often increases your chances of finding another hidden treasure in all those racks. Remember they are selling whatever donations they get. Maybe you didn’t find that new pair of black work pants you had been hoping for this week. Two weeks later you may have your choice of 5 that fit perfect.
Are you guys excited to hit the thrift stores now? I sure am! These are the exact tips I follow to find some awesome clothes a goodwill and I guarantee they will help you find some too! Drop the amazing deals you get in the comments below!