21 Things we forget to clean | The Ultimate Cleaning List
Isn’t a truly clean house a wonderful feeling?
Tis the season for a good spring cleaning! I’m sure I’m not the only one to do a really good “spring cleaning” this time of year. Unfortunately, no matter how well we feel like we clean there are often things we simply forget about cleaning. I wanted to get it right this year so, being the visual person that I am, I started making a list.
As I was writing out my list for my lovely spring cleaning session I decided to look up some cleaning list to keep myself in order and on task better. I realized that there are lots of things that I don’t think about cleaning on any type of regular basis. After comparing tons of cleaning list I decided to make my own!
I’ve left out the “common” clean task like dusting ceiling fans and mopping floors. Because if I seriously made a complete home cleaning list you would be reading forever. I don’t know about you but that would be my motivation not to clean! So here it is…
Things we forget to clean!
- Walls, plate covers and door knobs– All these things can be wiped down with a wet rag(and your walls too!). You can even hit the door knobs and light switch covers with an antibacterial wipe to kill those germs.
- Bath toys, toothbrush/holder, vacuum filter and toilet bowl brush– It may seem weird that I grouped these together but there is a reason. They can all go in the dishwasher to be sanitized! Please don’t put them all in their together or with dishes though! If you ever need to clean them and the dishwasher is empty just run a quick cycle to sanitize!
- Computer, phones, headphones and remotes– All these electronics get touched alllll the time, and if you have littles they have probably been in a mouth or two. Wipe them down with a antibacterial wipe to keep the germs at bay.
- High chair and car seat straps– We clean the car seat and high chair covers when the get spots or stains on them. What about taking the straps out and washing them every once and awhile too?
- Car steering wheel– How many things do you touch while out running errands? Don’t forget the steering wheel this year!
- Washing machine– Here is a great post on how to clean your washing machine to keep your clothes as clean as ever.
- Brooms and mops– After cleaning your floors countless times these guys need a little tlc as well. If you can detach your mop head and throw it in the washer it’s an easy fix. For the broom take a bucket of water and your choice of cleaning solution and give it a dunk. Rinse it will and lay it in the sun to dry.
- Your purse– This is one I didn’t think of, unfortunately. After all the places we set our purse over time it certainly deserves a trip to the washing machine!
- Oven- I use mine everyday and I know it hasn’t been cleaned in 2 years!
- Fridge vent and coils– This not only cleans those hidden dust bunnies out of your kitchen but it lengthens the life of your appliances, win win!
- Reusable grocery bags– I never thought about the germs that can grow on my reusable grocery bags until I came across this amazing post on how to clean them!
- Trash can– I don’t do this nearly enough! I may clean out the inside when something leaks in it but I don’t know that I’ve ever sanitized my entire trash can.
- Coffee maker– I live on coffee, but have never really thought of cleaning my little single brew maker. Simply run white vinegar through it a couple of times followed by a few cycles with water.
- Sink stopper- We clean out our sink and our tub but how many times do we take that stopper out and clean it? These can be scrubbed with a cleaning brush and some antibacterial cleaner.
- Loofahs– It may seem odd to clean something that is supposed to keep you clean but when these loofahs sit in the shower wet they can easily grow some yuck stuff! I like to dunk my is some bleach water for a couple minutes and then rinse it really well. I even leave it it the shower floor to rinse more while I’m washing my hair.
- Exhaust fans– These can get seriously gross! We replaced our bathrooms exhaust fans when we bought our house and I couldn’t believe what we pulled out! I’ve made a point to keep these clean! Here’s a great how-to post!
- Shower curtain– You can extend the life of your shower curtain or shower liner but keeping it clean! I use some bleach water solution and spray it down then rinse after 15 minutes. If I have time to take a scrub brush and scrub it down I do that instead.
- Pillows– I launder my pillows at least once and year and wash all that sweat and dust bunnies out.
- Lamp shades– Mine need it bad! You can use a lint roller or a dry clean paint brush or brush all dust off.
- Laundry basket– I know we throw dirty laundry in it everyday but wiping it down with a wet cloth or antibacterial wipe once in awhile will get rid of the germs left over!
- Your mattress- This is one I actually do every other season but I wanted to add it for you guys as well. I take a vacuum over it, sprinkle some baking soda and let it set for 15 minutes or so, then vacuum again. Easy peasy and it will keep your mattress fresher longer!
So, there you have it! 21 things we forget to clean!
Just thinking about how much more germ free my home will be is making me want to start cleaning now! I hope this list reminds you of some of the things we often forget to clean. As always, leave your tips and trick in the comments as well and don’t be afraid to tell me what I forgot! Happy cleaning everyone!