17 Health Habits To Start NOW!
Happy 2017 ya’ll! If you’re anything like me you come up with new year’s resolutions every year and know it’s only a matter of time before you slack off, fail, or just plain forget about your good intentions. A couple of years ago I completely ditched “resolutions” and started setting myself a focus word for the year. I realized if I focused on one thing, and one thing only, I could better direct myself to the small goals that got me to the big picture. My word back in 2013 was change. I was hungry to change a lot of habits, job, location, the whole bit. I really made a lot of progress that year on healthy habits and have since slacked off. So, to motivate my own lazy tail I’m sharing some of my new and old healthy habits with you all! Without any more procrastination…here we go
- WATER! This is a big downfall for me. I don’t drink nearly enough water. In the past I had worked with a girl that drank a gallon a day and had motivation to keep up with her. I only got up to a half gallon but it’s amazing the things that change. My skin wasn’t as dry, I almost never got a headache(yes I was surprised those are connected but it’s true!), my digestive system was more regular and I over all felt better. So this year we’re back on the water and hopefully I can work my way back to where I was!
- Go to bed on time! This one is truly going to be a challenge for me. I’m such a night owl and can almost never make myself go to bed at a decent time. An adult needs 7-9 hours of sleep a night. Since my baby boy sleeps until around 10am(give or take) I usually sill get my 7 hours, but I’m not nearly as productive at night as I am if I wake up before him in the morning. So it’s going to be early to bed early to rise for me this year! (fingers crossed)
- Eat Breakfast! This one goes right along with the last one. I often skip out on breakfast because I fix my little one breakfast when he wakes up and I’m still working on my cup of joe. Getting a good breakfast down in the morning not only kick starts your metabolism but gets you going for a productive day. Even if I don’t feel hungry I will at least make me a meal replacement shake or a green smoothie just to get something on my belly and get me going in the morning. Getting up earlier will make getting breakfast in a lot easier also(wink wink).
- Feed your mind! Speaking of food, your mind needs to be fed as well. One of my goals for this year is to read a book a month. Anything you can do to expand your knowledge! When I’m working on a project that I need my husbands help on I always ask him to show me how not to do it for me. Doing hair, I talk to the public all day. Some people are shocked to see this tiny young little hairstylist knows things like how to refinish a piece of furniture or can have a decent conversation about guns. I always try to take in what information I can. And when I don’t know I always look it up later. So, this year aim to feed your brain!
- Get moving! Whether you go take the fur babies for a walk, maybe go to the gym, or even park in the back of the parking lot for some extra steps, get moving. The more active you are the better you will feel, not to mention those extra calories your killing along the way. Getting in some sort of physical activity every day can benefit your health tremendously. It lowers risk of heart problems, diabetes, stress and so much more. So get moving this year!
- Start a routine! This is what I believe is the key to stress-free success…and I have yet to master it. A routine keeps you organized, healthy, and walking though a day with much more clarity. If I could stick to a cleaning routine I wouldn’t be anxiously doing the dishing, putting away laundry and 100 other things every night before bed. Its hard sometimes if you don’t have a set work schedule but finding some balance is key. Even if you have a “days off” routine and those change, its a great start. So this year we will master a routine!
- Get some fresh air! Ahh finally a goal I will enjoy succeeding at! My little man and I love the outdoors, but we don’t spend nearly enough time out. Did you know that spending time in the fresh air can lower your blood pressure and stress level, yes, going outside is actually medically good for you. People who spend more time out doors are happier. So, take that extra vacation, go to the park as more than just a treat, and enjoy a summer time dinner on the porch!
- Prepare for tomorrow! The day before, that is. Make it part of your routine to get tomorrows lunch prepared and lay out what you are going to wear the night before. Those few minutes it takes while you wide awake the evening before may make you morning ten times easier. You are way less likely to forget anything as well. You will feel refreshed and ready to take on the day!
- Organize! Oh my, I think we have found my biggest challenge this year. What I have has always been called an organized mess. I know where everything is in my house but it is not in any kind of order that makes sense to a sane mind unlike mine. I always like to think that organizing the physical things helps organize my brain as well. So this year get those bills in a file folder, clean out the babies clothes, and give everything a proper “home”!
- Find your (healthy) outlet! Do you ever have “one of those days”? You guys know the ones where everything goes wrong from the moment that you wake up to the time you get home and it just has to happened that day, right?! So what do you do with all that anxious, frustrated, pissed off energy once your home? That’s where your outlet comes in. A good hard run always lifts my spirits. As of last year I don’t have an apartment gym to go to and I have a baby I cant just ditch to go running. So, I need to find a new healthy outlet this year. Some place to leave all that bad energy before it spills out. So what’s your outlet?
- More fruits and veggies! Yes! Ill start by saying I don’t do diets, I love my food. The way I cheat this system is to add more veggies in the meals I’m going to fix. Nine times out of ten I end up saying forget the mac and cheese because I’m already cooking the green beans and potatoes. I also always eat the healthier stuff off my plate first, that way when I get full I can skip out on the stuff I probably shouldn’t have eaten anyway! So bring on those fruits and veggies!
- Know your limits! I have a horrible habit of trying to take on too much. I get about half way into it and realize I don’t have enough time or its too much work for me to do on my own. There’s usually a mental break down and my poor husband ends up helping with something he was never obligated to do in the first place. This year I intend to know my limits and not exceed them. Knowing your limits may be something that applies to your life in another way than mine. Whatever the reason it is always better not to cross that line.
- Get the most out of your minutes! Wow, I’m really beginning to show what a hot mess I truly am. That’s okay, though, because I will never be anything but my honest self with you guys. Back to the point though, I am a procrastinator. In the 10 spare minutes I had earlier in the night I could have had the dish washer loaded but I put it off doing nothing of value and now I have to spend my precious blog time doing it now. One of my goals this year is to respect my time and spend it way more wisely!
- Find the good in everyday! I read a Pinterest idea a while back that said to write down something good that happened every day(along with the date) and put it in a jar. At the end of the year you will have 365 good memories to pull out and read. I said I was going to do that this year. While driving home from work, only 3 days into the year, I had a crap day and was already struggling to find a “good” out of that day. It may be more challenging to begin with. But, I believe it will help me freely see the small good things in every single day. So, challenge accepted!
- Try something new! My one year old is steadily learning and trying new things. I happened the have the thought not too long ago and I don’t have very many “firsts” anymore. This year I want to try new things and do things for the first time. I want to grow with my little man. I want him to see his mom try new things and have new experiences and know that your never too old to have an adventure.
- Love more! I have a truly blessed life and the most amazing friends and family. They know I love them and I know they love me but this year I want to actively love them more. Not only the people I love already but I want to be a tiny part of the love this world is missing. This year I want to pay for the meal of the person behind me in line when I can afford it. I want to help that person get there groceries to the car. Even if its just a smile and “have a good day” I want to love more!
- Reward yourself! This year I will also treat myself for the hard work and long hours I put in a all my jobs, paid and unpaid. This is something that’s hard for me because I’d rather see someone else get treated. But, this year I will show myself that my hard work earns rewards and I will enjoy it! Hey, its important to love yourself too right?
So there we have it, 17 healthy habits for 2017! Join me in my journey and check in to hold me accountable! Let me know some of you goals for this year as well! I know you guys can crush any goals you set for yourself! Cheers to a new year, happy 2017!